Books on My Nightstand




Seems like we’re always trying a new diet, so this year, I thought we’d all go on a Spiritual Diet.  J  Spending time with God, reading His Word, and focusing on character building.  Taking a nice and much needed break from solely health related reading, which can start to get really depressing.  


Books On My Nightstand/In my Car/In my Diaper Bag/On My Couch/On My Kitchen Counter/Under a Pile of Papers/MIA

1.       Have a New Teenager by Friday - From Mouthy and Moody to Respectful and Responsible in 5 Days by Kevin Leman

·        I have a 12 year old boy.  Enough said.

2.       How to Have a 48-Hour Day – Get Twice As Much Done as You Do Now by Don Aslett

·        Good book.  Easy read.

3.       The Liver Cleansing Diet by Sandra Cabot

·        Really need to do this diet again as I no longer have a gallbladder and I think I still have some gallstones.  This is also a good weight loss book for understanding how the liver works to eliminate unhealthy fat.

4.       Effective Parenting in a Defective World by Chip Ingram

·        I love Chip Ingram’s radio programs on Moody.

5.      The Life You’ve Always Wanted by John Ortberg

·        I read his other book, “If You Want to Walk on Water...” That was really good so thought I’d read another of his.

6.       Honey for a Child’s Heart by Gladys Hunt

·        We used this for homeschooling but I think it’s a great addition to any family.  It lists out great books by age.  I bought the book and we check off and date the books we’ve read.  I plan to pass this on to one of my kids when they have kids so they can read the same books to their kids.  90% of the books the author has chosen are really good. 

7.       The Bible.  Trying to get through the Bible in 1 year.  I started on July 1st.  My birthday is in July, so I figured I’d try to read it in one full year of my life instead of starting in January.  I hate deadlines and too much is going on in December to try to finish something by then.  I’m sure I’ll get behind, but if it takes two years, I figure that’s still good.  I googled a Bible reading schedule and printed it out and I highlight each reading I’ve done.  It comes out to about 3 chapters of the Old Testament and 1 chapter of the New Testament each day.  Sometimes I get behind and just read several chapters in one day.  I’m in the middle of Exodus.



Books I’ve read recently

1.      20 Kids and Counting by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar

·        LOVE, love, loved this book!  I bought a copy of it.  I made my 12-year old read it and lent it to my 17-year old babysitter.  Awesome example of Godly parenting, Godly dating, frugal living, and trust in God.   Great behind the scene stories that you don’t hear on the show.  Easy read with a positive message.  If you’re feeling overwhelmed by motherhood or life, this will pick you up.  It’s hard to feel sorry for yourself when you see someone taking care of 19 kids and still smiling and praising God. 

2.       Eat That Frog! 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time by Brian Tracy

·        I’m a procrastinator.  I’ll write a review on this book later.  J  Actually, I’m serious about that.

3.       A Love That Multiplies by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar

·        This is their second book.  I only read the first half of the book.  It was interesting but talked a good deal about her experience with her 19th daughter being born prematurely.  I enjoyed their first book better but plan to go back and finish this one.  This one was very sad and heart-wrenching. 

4.       If You Want To Walk on Water, You’ve Got to Get Out of the Boat by John Ortberg

·        I really liked this book.  I like his writing style.  He gets to the point and doesn’t beat around the bush.  Really inspiring.  My pastor recommended this book as one of the books that greatly impacted his life.  Talks about trusting God and stepping out of our comfort zone if we want to really experience life in Christ to the fullest.  I plan to buy this book and have my son read it when he gets a little older.

5.       Forgotten God by Frances Chan

·        Another one recommended by my pastor as a life-changer.  Talks about the role of the Holy Spirit and how underutilized he is, but how much great power there is in the Holy Spirit.   Little harder to read, but a good book.  I still need to finish it.  This one is always on hold at the library so I can’t renew it. 

6.       A Confident Heart by Renee Swope

·        Kept seeing this on Facebook so I finally got it.  Read the first half.  Pretty good.  Need to finish it. 

7.       Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth

·        Covers sleep habits for all ages.  Good book.  Very long.  It’s like an encyclopedia for sleep habits.  Just look up your issue and then read about it.

8.       America’s Cheapest Family Gets You Right On the Money by Steve and Annette Economides

·        Good tips on how to be frugal and save money in lots of different areas.

9.      Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half With America’s Cheapest Family by Steve and Annette Economides. 

·        Some really good advice in this book like making fewer shopping trips, keeping better inventory of your food, making meal plans, etc.  If you like Extreme Couponing, you’ll like this book. 
Books on My “To Read” List

1.       Sacred Romance – Drawing Closer to the Heart of God by John Eldredge

·        Recommended by someone in my small group.

2.       The Spiritual Man by Watchman Nee

·        Recommended by my small group leader as a book that changed her life.  Lot of great reviews for this book.

3.       From Good to Great in God’s Eyes by Chip Ingram

4.      The Shaping of a Christian Family by Elisabeth Elliott

5.      10 Choices – A Proven Plan to Change Your Life Forever by James MacDonald

·        James is the pastor of my last church.  I read the first couple chapters of this book a while ago and it was really good.  I need to go back and finish it. 

6.       Raising a Modern Day Princess by Doreen Hanna and Pam Farrel

·        I bought this book last year and haven’t read it yet.

7.       Fit for Life II :  Living Health by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond

·        I want to read more about vegetarian diets and heard this one talked about that.  Without a gallbladder, I can’t eat much meat.  L  So, I need to get motivated not to eat meat.  If I’m convinced it’s healthier to be vegetarian, it’ll be easier for me.

8.       No More Christian Nice Girl by Paul Coughlin and Jennifer Degler

·        They’re doing a study of this book on Midday Connection on Moody Radio every Tuesday.  Um, yeah…I need this book. J

9.      Boundaries – When to Say Yes, When to Say No to Take Control of Your Life by John Townsend and Henry Cloud

·        I read the first half of this book.  Really good.  I should have read this years ago.  I’m going to make my son read this book.  There’s a Boundaries for Kids book too that I also plan to read.  The idea is the same in both books but teaching your kids how to set boundaries in their relationships is really important, and setting boundaries with your own kids is important so they don’t grow up to be brats.  J

10.  Clutter’s Last Stand by Don Aslett

·        We have way too much junk.

11.   Raising Positive Kids in a Negative World by Zig Ziglar

12.  168 Hours:  You Have More Time Than You Think by Laura Vanderkam

·        Recommended by Money Saving Mom

13.   The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman

      I'll write a few reviews of some of these books and post them.  I get most of my books from the library so I can't underline in them.  So, I'm taking notes of important things I want to remember from them. 

 What about you? Read any good books lately?






Labels: